Close

To MacIntel or Not?

I’ve had the conversation a few times already.  I’m sure many of you have as well.  “Do I get a first revision Intel Mac, or do I wait until the hype dies, and bugs are worked out of the hardware/software?”

A day or so after The Keynote a couple weeks back, my good friend called me to see what I’d do.  He was in an interesting situation – he bought his G5 iMac 29 days prior…  So he wanted to know if I’d return my brandnew G5 iMac and opt instead for the even brand-newer (I know that’s not a word) Core Duo Intel iMac.

I of course had to give the responsible answer first, “For what you’ll be using it for, it’s not going to make a difference.”  That said, I went on, “But if I were in your shoes, I’d definitely go for the Intel iMac!”  He agreed – he likes the cutting edge, probable bugs or not.

So what are you doing, dear readers?  If you’re in the market for a new machine – or if you’ve just got money burning a hole in your pocket – what are you planning to do?  Wait it out a bit longer, or plunge into the Brave New World feet first?

And if you’ve already taken the plunge, any regrets or feedback for the rest of us?