Broadly speaking, enterprise mobility management (EMM) is the collection of tools necessary to allow businesses to deploy, secure, and manage policies, devices, and applications for a mobile workforce. This Sector RoadMapTM surveys the current landscape of EMM tools, predicts the impact of anticipated disruption vectors on the marketplace, and examines the possible suitability of different approaches of tool vendors in the near future.
For our analysis of the EMM space, we have chosen five key trends (or disruption vectors) that will disrupt the marketplace in the coming 24 months. These vectors are platform proliferation (the single-most-critical vector); continued enterprise distribution; the increasing importance of compliance, risk, and governance; the emergence of EMM as an IT management system; and the demand for value-driven metrics.
As businesses respond to these vectors, they will create opportunities for vendors to meet their new set of needs and, ultimately, compete for market share. This report will outline these disruption vectors, weigh their relative importance to the overall market, and examine which vendor strategies and toolsets will be best able to adapt.
Enterprise Mobility Management vendors scored against disruption vectors
Source: GigaOM Research
Key findings in this Sector RoadMap include:
- EMM addresses an entirely new set of challenges.
- The market is changing so fast and user requirements are so unique and fluid that there is rarely one best provider.
- Currently vendors such as AirWatch, Citrix, and MobileIron appear best positioned to address the widest range of concerns from a single source.
- Successful EMM solutions will require a blend of mobile device management (MDM) and mobile application management (MAM) tools, often from different vendors.
- The next 24 months will see additional partnerships and consolidation in the industry, as well as an increase in the popularity of managed mobile service providers.