Mobilize 09 encompassed a broad range of mobile topics, but the following issues and trends were the key themes of the day:
- Smartphone operating systems and application stores: Android stole the show, but the hottest topics of the day were the rise of app stores and the battle of smartphone platforms.
- Ultraband: While networks don’t have the sex appeal of flashy gadgets or hip new app stores, infrastructure is the foundation upon which these new products and services are being built.
- The mobile Internet: Usage is finally ramping up in a real way thanks to the iPhone and other web-friendly devices, but substantial hurdles must still be overcome for the wireless web to truly go mainstream.
- Social media: While Facebook, MySpace and others are gaining substantial traction in mobile, social-networking components are becoming key features in a wide variety of phones, apps and services throughout the space.
- Startups: Mobilize 09’s LaunchPad event turned the spotlight on 10 innovative mobile startups, giving the new companies a chance to showcase their offerings to the audience and to a three-judge panel.